4th February 2010
painfully slow recovery from recession has forced organisers to postpone next
month’s (March 19-21) Edible Garden Show following concerns among potential
sponsors and exhibitors over the uncertain economy.
first-ever national event dedicated exclusively to ‘Grow Your Own’ fruit and
vegetables was targeted to reflect the phenomenal explosion of interest among
the public for home-grown produce and healthy eating. Although the imaginative
concept for the new show had been well received, organisers found increasing
difficulty in securing commitment from enough exhibitors to justify the
scheduled launch on Friday, March 19, 2010.
Edible Garden Show will now debut on March 18-20, 2011 at Stoneleigh Park,
Warwickshire, with organisers confident that the new date will allow time to
maximise the number of exhibitors attending and to secure sponsorship deals.
expert Brian Wiseman, a shareholder and one of the key players behind The Edible
Garden Show, said: “We always knew we faced an immense challenge to launch a
national show of this scale against the backdrop of recession. When we decided to go ahead with the project
back in September 2009 there were signs of the green shoots of recovery. There
was real hope that the UK would be coming out of recession early in 2010.
the speed of the economic recovery has been far slower in the UK than in many other
nations, which has resulted in a natural reluctance for businesses to commit to
expenditure in such an uncertain climate.
Our concept has been well received and it has been widely recognised
that, in The Edible Garden Show, we have a recipe for an exciting and
innovative new national event.
has simply been against us with a number of potential exhibitors expressing
their keenness to be involved but at the same time being cautious to committing
themselves financially when there is still such uncertainty about the economic
Wiseman added: “Naturally we are disappointed.
A great deal of time, effort and money has been invested so far in this
project. We might be downhearted at the
moment but we remain unwavering in our belief in the show and that we have a
concept which will be a massive hit with exhibitors, sponsors and the public.”
show had already won official endorsements from two of the most high-profile
organisations in the gardening and agriculture world – the National Society of
Allotment and Leisure Gardeners (NSALG), which boasts 103,000 members in the UK
at over 2,000 allotment societies, and the Royal Agricultural Society of
England. Both organisations have pledged their continuing support for the show
and back the decision to postpone the launch until 2011.
National Federation of Women’s Institutes was also supporting the show with
cookery demonstrations due to be conducted at the event by the WI’s National
had also secured a national media partner for the event through Mirror Group
Group has signed a three-year agreement to support The Edible Garden Show and
will remain national media partner for next year’s launch show. Mirror Group
Managing Editor Eugene Duffy said: “The Edible Garden Show is a fantastic idea
which we know our readers were looking forward to. We are obviously
disappointed it has been postponed but look forward to supporting the show next year.”
from The Edible Garden Show are contacting exhibitors and visitors who had
booked space or purchased tickets with a view to returning money or
transferring orders to the 2011 event.